The job of an Indian Air Force Commissioned Officer is a lucrative one. As an officer in the Indian Air Force you get the chance to strategize, lead and manage. The candidates are selected through a national level Civil Services IAF Officer’s Examination.
This exam is basically conducted for recruitment of officers into administrative, logistic, education, accounts, meteorological, and air traffic branches of the IAF. After the selection the candidates go through rigorous training in diversified fields and environments. The training gives them enough expertise to face any challenges in future.
Minimum Educational Qualification and Age Limit
• Graduate 1 Class - Age: 20-23 years
• OR Post-Graduate/MBA/PGDBA I OR II Class - Age: 20-25 years
• OR LLB three-year (or 5 years) course I or II Class - Age: 20-26 years. (Or 20 to 25 years).
• LLB candidates are eligible to apply for Administrative Branch only.
• Post-Graduate in English/Psychology/Defence Studies/Maths/ Physics/Statistics/Computer Science - I or II Class.
• OR BE - I or II Class.
• OR MBA with a combination of minimum of two subjects of Physics, Maths, Statistics, English, Psychology, Defence Studies at B.A./B.Sc. level- I or II Class.
Age: 11-25 years.
• B.Com. / B.Com. (Hons) in I Division - Age: 20-25 years
• OR B.Com in I / II Division - Age: 20-25 years
• OR B Com. / M.Com. with AICWA / Chartered / Registered or Incorporated Accountant.
Age: 20-27 years.
M.Sc. Degree in
(ii) Applied Physical,
(iv) Geophysics with Meteorology and Oceanography,
(v) Oceanography with specialization in Meteorology,
(vi) MA/MSc in Maths or Applied Mathematics,
(vii) M Tech in Atmosphere Sciences from IIT Delhi in I/II Class with Physics and Maths as subjects at BSc level
Age: 20-25 years.
Note: Age is reckoned as on the date of commencement of course of the year of admission.
Reservation of Seats: 10% vacancies are reserved for NCC candidates holding other eligibility conditions and passed Air Wing 'C' certificate examination.
Applications of eligible/short-listed candidates are forwarded to Air Force Selection Boards located at Dehradun, Mysore or Varanasi. On reporting to the Board, an Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) Test would be conducted. Those who pass OIR will be admitted for Psychological Test, Group Test and Interview. Recommended candidates are sent for Medical Exam.
Selected candidates have to undergo training. Male candidates inducted into the Administrative Branch are likely to function as Air Traffic Controllers (ATC)/Fighter Controllers (FC) initially. Hence only those found medically fit for ATC/FC duties may be preferred for Administrative Branch.
IAF Commissioned Officer Exam is generally held in the month of March and July.
The procedure for sending your application is fairly simple. The first stage is to watch out for the advertisement inviting applications in the leading newspapers and the Employment News. After you spot the relevant ad, you send your application in the format mentioned in the advertisement, before the last date of receiving of application.
The candidate can also visit the Indian Air force website: www.careerairforce.nic.in
Applications can be submitted in the prescribed format and must be sent (on or before the specified last date as mentioned in the advertisement) to -
The Air Headquarters
Post Box No 001, DHQ Post Office,
New Delhi-11 0001
Indian Air force
Vayu Bhawan, New Delhi - 110 011
Tel.: 23012579, Fax: 23018981
Inquiry about the courses and classes, Please fill this form.